If I had to pick my one most favourite cookie, it would be these. Christmas isn’t Christmas without cranberry lemon iced drops on the cookie tray.
The secret to the utter amazingness of these cookies is the use of fresh cranberries – tart cranberries with bright lemon zest, mellowed by crunchy, toasty pecans. Really, how could it get better?
You can chop the cranberries in a food processor, but I prefer to thinly slice them by hand. They look so pretty this way, and they seem to release less moisture.
If you are a crisp cookie fan (and I am generally a crisp cookie fan) be aware that these are soft and vaguely cake-like, due to the high moisture content of the cranberries. But they are delicious nonetheless. Have I mentioned how delicious these cookies are yet?
If you are not a fan of icing on cookies (and I am seriously not a fan of icing), you will still like these. Cut it back to a drizzle if you must, but don’t skip it. The lemon icing is crucial to the flavour of these delicious cookies. Have I mentioned how delicious they are yet?
They also freeze well, and you can safely freeze them ices, if you want to make them ahead.
This is another recipe I have been making since I was a teenager. The original recipe came from the Christmas issue of a woman’s magazine, many years ago. I wish i knew which one. I lost the magazine, but I have held onto the recipe.
Cranberry Lemon Iced Drops
- 1 c. flour
- 1 tsp, baking powder
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/2 tsp. cinnamon
- 1/2 c. butter
- 1/2 c. sugar
- 1/3 c. brown sugar
- 1/2 tsp. lemon zest
- 1 egg
- 1 1/2 cups coarsely chopped pecans
- 1 1/2 cups chopped fresh cranberries
- Preheat the oven to 375.
- Cream the butter with the sugars. Add the baking powder, salt, lemon zest, and cinnamon.
- Beat in the egg.
- Stir in the flour until just blended.
- Stir in the pecans and cranberries.
- Drop by the teaspoonful onto a parchment lined cookie sheet. (Note: do not attempt to store this dough for later, as the cranberries release their moisture it will get too soft)
- Bake 12 to 15 minutes, or until cookies are golden.
- When cookies are cool, drizzle them with lemon icing.
- 1 c. confectioner’s sugar
- 2 T. milk
- 1/4 tsp. lemon peel
- Whisk ingredients together and drizzle over cooled cookies.