The secret to the utter amazingness of these cookies is the use of fresh cranberries – tart cranberries with bright lemon zest, mellowed by crunchy, toasty pecans. Really, how could it get better?
You can chop the cranberries in a food processor, but I prefer to thinly slice them by hand. They look so pretty this way, and they seem to release less moisture.
If you are a crisp cookie fan (and I am generally a crisp cookie fan) be aware that these are soft and vaguely cake-like, due to the high moisture content of the cranberries. But they are delicious nonetheless. Have I mentioned how delicious these cookies are yet?
If you are not a fan of icing on cookies (and I am seriously not a fan of icing), you will still like these. Cut it back to a drizzle if you must, but don’t skip it. The lemon icing is crucial to the flavour of these delicious cookies. Have I mentioned how delicious they are yet?
They also freeze well, and you can safely freeze them ices, if you want to make them ahead.
This is another recipe I have been making since I was a teenager. The original recipe came from the Christmas issue of a woman’s magazine, many years ago. I wish i knew which one. I lost the magazine, but I have held onto the recipe.
Cranberry Lemon Iced Drops
- 1 c. flour
- 1 tsp, baking powder
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/2 tsp. cinnamon
- 1/2 c. butter
- 1/2 c. sugar
- 1/3 c. brown sugar
- 1/2 tsp. lemon zest
- 1 egg
- 1 1/2 cups coarsely chopped pecans
- 1 1/2 cups chopped fresh cranberries
- Preheat the oven to 375.
- Cream the butter with the sugars. Add the baking powder, salt, lemon zest, and cinnamon.
- Beat in the egg.
- Stir in the flour until just blended.
- Stir in the pecans and cranberries.
- Drop by the teaspoonful onto a parchment lined cookie sheet. (Note: do not attempt to store this dough for later, as the cranberries release their moisture it will get too soft)
- Bake 12 to 15 minutes, or until cookies are golden.
- When cookies are cool, drizzle them with lemon icing.
- 1 c. confectioner’s sugar
- 2 T. milk
- 1/4 tsp. lemon peel
- Whisk ingredients together and drizzle over cooled cookies.