There are different kinds of macaroons. These are the dense, chewy ones, packed with coconut and flavored with a dash of almond extract. I like pretty much all macaroons, but I like these best.
I’ve played around with them over the years, adding chocolate chips, filling them with lemon curd, but in the end I always come back to the original, unadorned version, perfect in it’s simplicity.
- 2 2/3 cups shredded, sweetened coconut
- 1/2 c. sugar
- 1/4 c. flour
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp. almond extract
- Preheat the oven to 325.
- Combine the coconut, sugar, and flour.
- Stir in the eggs and almond extract and mix well.
- Let sit 10 minutes.
- Scoop by rounded tablespoonfuls onto a parchment lined baking sheet.
- Bake 20 minutes, or until the edges are golden.