Right, now on to day 15 of the Christmas Cookie Countdown. This is one of my most requested cookies. They are soft and chewy, and spicy with a double hit of ginger. They are also one of the easiest cookies to make.
My friend Sue was looking for a ginger cookie recipe recently. Sue, this is for you. This one is adapted from Alice Medrich’s Cookies and Brownies.
- 2 cups flour
- 2 tsp. baking soda
- 2 1/2 tsp. ground ginger
- 1 1/2 tsp. cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp. allspice
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 4 oz. butter
- 1/4 cup molasses
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup finely chopped crystallized ginger
- coarse white sugar for decorating (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Cream the butter with the molasses and sugars.
- Beat in the ground ginger, cinnamon, allspice, and salt.
- Beat in the egg.
- Stir in the flour and crystallized ginger until just blended.
- Roll heaping tablespoonfuls of the dough into balls.
- Roll the balls in the coarse sugar (if using) and place them on a parchment lined cookie sheet.
- Bake 10 to 12 minutes, until the puff up, crack, and deflate.