These cookies are cute, they are delicious, and they are a perfect recipe to make with kids. The addition of graham cracker crumbs to the batter takes the flavor to the next level, a toasty, crunchy yet chewy level. The dough is simple to make, and there is no rolling or cookie cutter required. The bears are made with balls and logs of dough that you shape with your hands.
Here they are ready to go in the oven.
And here they are out of the oven.
Peanut Butter Graham Bears
- 1/2 cup natural peanut butter
- 1/2 cup butter
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 1/4 c. brown sugar
- 3/4 tsp. baking soda
- 1 egg
- 1/2 tsp. vanilla
- 1 cup flour
- 1/2 cup finely crushed graham crackers
- Mini chocolate chips or raisins
- Preheat the oven to 325.
- Beat the butter and peanut butter together.
- Beat in the sugar, brown sugar, baking soda and vanilla.
- Beat in the egg.
- Stir in the flour and graham cracker crumbs.
- For each cookie, roll a tablespoon sized ball for the body, and a teaspoon sized ball for the head. Lay them on a parchment lined cookie sheet and flatten them slightly.
- Fashion small logs for the arms and legs, and three small balls. Arrange two of the balls as ears, and place the third one on top of the head, to form a snout for the bear.
- Press two mini chocolate chips or raisins into the cookie for eyes.
- Bake 15 to 18 minutes, or until the edges are lightly browned.
We’re back! I meant to post this before we left on vacation, but I ran out of time, even for such a fast and simple recipe as this one.
I first encountered it years ago in Gourmet magazine, where they were called Mom-Mom Fritch’s Peanut Butter Cookies. I tried them and fell in love, instantly. It is the only peanut butter cookie recipe I have used since then. That’s nearly 15 years worth of peanut butter cookies. In the intervening years the internet has discovered and popularized them, providing them with a fame they richly deserve.
You can play around, adding chocolate chunks, crushed malt balls, or chopped peanuts. But the bottom line is that no matter what you do they are the only peanut butter cookie I’ve ever made that really, really tastes like peanuts. Other cookies have a faint peanut aftertaste. These are pure peanut through and through.
The secret to getting the right texture and flavor is to NOT OVERBAKE them. If you do they will be dry and crumbly. They should instead be thin and chewy.
No Flour Peanut Butter Cookies
- 1 cup smooth, all-natural peanut butter, with salt
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Stir the sugar into the peanut butter. Stir in the egg, then the baking soda and vanilla.
- Scoop the dough out by teaspoonfuls. Roll these into balls and place on a parchment-lined cookie sheet.
- Flatten each cookie with the back of a fork, making a cross-hatch pattern in the top.
- Bake for 8 minutes, until puffed, and just starting to brown. Do not overbake them. I’m serious. Do not overbake.
- The cookies will be very soft when you take them out of the oven. Let them sit for a couple of minutes, until they stiffen enough to remove to a cooling rack.