So you don’t consider yourself much of a baker, yet you’ve gotten yourself into the position of having to provide something for your child’s class/a pot luck/coffee hour. You need something fool proof, and oh, also fast because you just haven’t got the time for this.
Magic cookie bars will save you. They are fast, they are ridiculously easy, and unless you leave them in the oven for an hour and accidentally burn them to a crisp, they are foolproof. Also, everybody loves them.
I made a batch today, with some red and green candied chocolate chips sprinkles on top to make them extra festive. You can throw together a batch in the time it takes you to read this post.
Magic Cookie Bars
- 4 oz. butter
- 1 1/2 cups graham cracker crumbs
- 1 can condensed milk
- 1 cup chocolate chips
- 1 1/3 cups coconut
- 1 cup coarsely chopped nuts (I use pecans, but any nut will do)
- Preheat the oven to 350.
- Line a 13×9 inch pan with foil.
- Put the butter in the pan and the pan in the preheating oven.
- When the butter is melted, remove the pan and sprinkle the graham cracker crumbs over the butter.
- Mix the two together and press the crumbs evenly over the bottom of the pan.
- Drizzle the condensed milk evenly over the crumb crust.
- Top with remaining ingredients then press down on them firmly.
- Bake 25 to 30 minutes or until browned around the edges.
- Cool thoroughly before cutting. (I flip the whole thing upside down on a cutting board, peel off the foil, and cut it into squares while it is still upside down. I find it easier to work with this way).